Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Signs and Songs of Spring


1.  Tiptoe through the Tulips
Genuine Massachusetts Tulip



2.  It's A Great Day for the Irish

Genuine Connemara Leprechaun Scat


3.  Here Comes Peter Cottontail





Genuine Vermont Hay



Huh!  Whuh! Okay, that's what I get for shopping at Whole Foods.  Exposure to spit-take inducing products like this.

I don't know where to begin on this one.  I appreciate that Vermont agriculture needs all the help it can get, and they certainly have a flock of gnomes working overtime on developing artisanal salsas, jams, cookies, chocolates and cheeses.  But artisanal easter basket grass?  I was too shocked to check the price, but I'll bet it's more than a few jelly beans.

Yes, it's biodegradable, natural, compostable, fragrant and buying it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy, just like a bunny.  It's a teachable moment in a box if your kids are the kind who don't know that apples grow on trees.  You can explain that this is Timothy grass, it is cow fodder, and cow's give us milk, and when they can't do that anymore, they are slaughtered and ground up for dog food.

You can fill your cute grass nest with heirloom eggs and organic jelly beans for a tasteful if pallid alternative to the garishness of genuine plastic easter basket grass, technicolor jelly beans, and marshmallow eggs.  But don't save your straw for next year unless you want a teachable moment about mold, bugs, death and decay.

You might want to lay in some of that nice staticky purple plastic stuff after all.


 I like to include fun links for further reading, but I really cannot bring myself to link to an on-line tutorial on how you can make your own colorful plastic easter basket grass by shredding up plastic bags.  There is more than one of these tutorials out there.  Really, you have to go look for it for yourself.

4 comments:

trixie said...

Well, I practice the art of recycling my brightly colored Easter grass year after year after year. SO, what's better - buying new every year or proving that some things can last forever? My grass will probably still be around for M's kids to enjoy.

Didn't we have the same Easter grass in the same two baskets forever? (not sure how the 2 baskets for 5 kids worked - I guess the age spread meant only the two youngest got the treats?)

Unknown said...

I think it's better to prove that some things last forever:)

Maureen Rogers said...

Artisanal Easter basket grass. I must away to Whole immediately and get some. If it's sold out, I suppose I could just spade a foot of turf off of Boston Common.

Unknown said...

I could bring you some clippings from the compost pile:)